The Murley Hall was busy and buzzy last night with a very jolly atmosphere. We were pleased to welcome seven guests, friends of existing members. Isn’t it great that we love our WI so much that we all want to bring our friends!?
Guest speaker Philip Rodda regaled us with stories of his family’s business, beginning with his grandmother who, at age 18, worked out a way of preserving clotted cream so that it would last three months. This meant that the delicious cream could be sent to London and beyond!
After the talk, Philip was kind enough to provide us all with samples of custard, crème fraiche and butter to take home. I don’t know about you, but I’ll be having apple crumble and custard tonight!
Congratulations to Sue Knights who won both Flower of the Month and our competition! And also to Pam Smith who won the raffle prize.
We have so much going on at the moment that I thought it would be a good idea to run through some of our events here:
- Julia and Richard are generously opening up their home to us for a Christmas buffet lunch on Thursday 4 December from 12 noon. This is sure to be a wonderful celebratory event, so make sure you book! Tickets are £5 per person and partners are welcome to attend. If you haven’t yet put your name down or if you need to arrange to make payment, please contact Alison Latham on (01736) 740259 or by email on email@example.com.
- Shirley Battle will be leading one of her very popular flower arranging workshops on Wednesday 10 December at the Murley Hall. You’ll be making Christmas arrangements and a wreath. This workshop is sure to fill up quickly, so do contact Lis Davies as soon as possible to book your place! You can reach Lis on (01736) 754146 or on email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Christmas meal out is on Monday 15 December at 12pm at the St Ives Harbour Hotel (formerly the Porthminster Hotel). If you’re taking the train, please catch either the 11:18am from St Erth or the 11:21am from Lelant Saltings (park and ride). For those of you taking the bus, we’ll meet you there! If you haven’t yet paid for your meal or if you still owe the balance after paying your deposit, please contact Kathy Merrett on (01736) 757107 or by email on email@example.com
- Our next meeting is our annual Feast meeting on Monday 19 January. Your committee will be preparing and serving a wonderful curry supper for you. Please advise if you have any special dietary requirements (firstname.lastname@example.org). Also, don’t forget to bring a tin of food or some other non-perishable foot item for us to donate to the Food Bank.
- If you haven’t yet put your name down to attend either or both of the Centenary Baton day events on Wednesday 18 February, make sure you do! This is a once in 100 years opportunity! The morning event at the Land’s End Hotel is from 10:30am until 12 noon and costs £4.75 per person. The afternoon event at The Godolphin Arms in Marazion is from 3 to 4:30pm and costs £3.00 per person. You are more than welcome to attend both if you’d like. To sign up or to make payment, please contact Alison Latham on (01736) 740259 or by email on email@example.com.
There’s never a dull moment in the WI!